Monday 28 March 2011

My Personal Success in Shinty


I first started playing shinty at the age of 9 but then after a year the organisers stopped and then as a result I had stopped playing. Then at the age of 11 it started up again and after two weeks of being at the primary school training I was asked to join for Glengarry. This was an achievment in itself as I was the youngest person ever to join a club in the premier league. After attending several training sessions I was asked to play my first game and it was the semi final of the Camanachd Cup and I was just 11. We won that game and as a result I was selected to play in the final. By the time of the final I had turned 12 and had played many more games and was slowly gaining experience. The final was one of the best moments of my shinty career with us defeating Kingussie 4-1 and me getting the opportunity to play in this event at such a young age. I also set a record as I was the youngest person to ever receive a winners Camanachd Cup medal and still am to this day. From that I continued to develop and gain experience and confidence from playing week in week out and was soon part of the starting line up. In 2006 I was awarded Glengarry Girls player of the year after a successful season this topped it off as i had been player of the tournament in both of the tournaments and named player of the match in the Camanachd Cup final. However receiving the Player of the Year was amazing as this showed that my team mates and the coach believed that I was playing at a high level. The following year I was put forward to attend international training and was selected to play for the team at just 15 years old. This was another achievment as I was the youngest person ever to play in the international and still to this day I am still the youngest person to have played. Since then I have played in the international team another 3 times taking my total caps to 4. I am looking to add to this and play again this year and make it 5 years in a row in which i have been selected. Along with this success I have achieved many medals and trophies for various cups and competitions. And i am looking to add to this year in year out and this year is no exception. I was also captain of Glengarry Girls in 2010, this was a great honour to be able to take control of the team and keep them going and motivate them even when things are not going to plan. From being captain and my team winning the Camanachd Cup I received a black caman which costs over £300 and only 2 players every year receive it, one male player and one female player and i was honoured to have recieved one. These are a few of my best achievments and hopefully in the next few years i continue to play at a high standard and of all goes to plan i hope to win more awards and wish that Glengarry Girls continue to strive and develop as a team so others get the opportunities that i have.



No comments:

Post a Comment